As a new employee, there are a number of MIT policies and resources that you should become familiar with, and we’ve noted some of the key ones below. Some of these policies may look familiar, as MIT sent a notice of certain policies (as required by law) with your new hire letter.
MIT has two policy manuals:
- MIT's Policies and Procedures. P&P, as it is sometimes called, applies to faculty and all staff. (Some polices in P&P apply even more broadly to the entire MIT community, including, for example, students and affiliates).
- MIT’s Personnel Policy Manual . The Personnel Policy Manual applies to non-academic staff only -- administrative, support, sponsored research (SRS), and service staff. Note that service staff at MIT are unionized, and if there is any discrepancy between the collective bargaining agreement and MIT’s general policies, the labor agreement will govern.
For questions on interpretation of human resources policies and practices at MIT, the Human Resources Officer for your department is a resource for you.
If you are a supervisor, you have a responsibility for becoming familiar with MIT policies and procedures and for being consistent in how you administer policies. We recommend in particular that you review MIT’s policy on Responsibility of Supervisors, as well as get an overview of the two policy manuals plus any policies specific to your department.
Below are some policies and resources that may be helpful to you as you begin your orientation to MIT. And please remember that your Human Resources Officer is always ready to help with any questions or concerns about policies or other HR issues.
Policies and Resources
Standards of Conduct Policies
- Code of Responsible and Ethical Conduct (contains link to anonymous reporting resource)
- Conflict of Interest
- Drug Free Workplace
- Harassment Policy
- Non-Discrimination Policy
- Outside Professional Activities
- Personal Conduct and Responsibilities towards Students and Employees and Conditions of Work and Personal Conduct
- Policy on Workplace Violence